Quick Overview – Our Most Popular Questions

WHERE DO I FIND ONLINE FORMS? Scroll to the bottom of our Meal Plans page for the following forms:

  • Changing Your Meal Plan - The deadline to upgrade or downgrade your meal plan is 3 weeks after meal service has begun for the semester.
  • To-Go Meal Program -  Dining Services has a to-go meal program to assist students when there is a valid conflict (job/internship/commuting to regional campus) with available meal times.
  • Purchasing Community Meal Plan - for commuters, students in on-campus apartments, local residents
  • Purchase Cash Point Account
  • Purchase Employee Community Meal Plan


  • Dining hall hours can be found on the TVs in the dining halls, on the dining hall doors, on our website, and via the myUConn app.
  • Retail hours for our cafes and eateries can be found at each location on TVs, posters, on our website, and via the myUConn app.
  • Hours Change During Breaks, Holidays, & Special Weekends: These changes will be posted at the beginning of each semester on our hours page dining.uconn.edu/hours. Reminders are communicated on our social media accounts, the dining hall TVs, Daily Digest, and via the Dining channel on the myUConn app.

  • GUESTS in Dining Halls 
    • Students with a Meal Plan are allowed to admit guests by using flex passes, points, Husky Bucks, or credit/debit. You can admit more than one guest at a time. If using flex passes, the cashier will deduct 1 flex pass for each guest.
    • UConn Employee or Student w/out a Meal Plan can pay with credit/debit or Husky Bucks.
    • Campus Visitors can pay with credit/debit. Dining halls are cashless. See guest rate in the Guest/Visitor section on our Storrs meal plan page
  • DINING HALL TO-GO CONTAINERS: All dining halls provide to-go containers for students with specific needs only. Read more here.
  • FLEX PASSES & POINTS: Click here for details on where to use your flex passes and points.
  • HOW OFTEN CAN I GO TO THE DINING HALL? Every dining hall is all-you-care to eat. Every residential meal plan allows you unlimited access. If you want to swipe in 5x in one day you can do so.
  • QUARANTINE - If you have been contacted by SHaW to quarantine, Dining Services will receive your name and you will be able to get a to-go container at the dining hall check-in station.
  • ALLERGY/DIETARY ACCOMMODATIONS - We are here to help with your dietary restrictions. Please review our info on labeling and the steps needed to get an accommodation and meet with our team.
  • GRAB & GO'S - The Gelfenbien and Putnam Grab & Go's are open for the fall/spring semester. Click here for menu/hours.
  • TAKE-OUT POLICY: After eating in the dining hall, you may take out one of the following food items: one piece of fruit, one ice cream treat, or one pastry/dessert item. Reusable drink bottles are allowed for 16oz or less fountain beverage. No outside Tupperware/personal to-go containers are allowed in the dining halls.
  • HAVE AN ISSUE/QUESTION WHILE IN THE DINING HALL: Please speak to or ask to speak to a manager so that they can help you out in a timely manner.
  • LOOKING FOR A CAMPUS JOB? Dining is hiring students! Earn extra cash | flexible shifts | student management opportunities | work near your residence hall
  • MASKS: Masking is not required in the dining halls.
  • GREEN PIECE CONTAINER - Go green with a reusable to-go container for use at the USM, Earth, Wok & Fire and One Plate, Two Plates.
  • DO I NEED TO BRING MY ID WITH ME TO THE DINING HALL? Yes, you will need to hand your ID to the cashier/validine station
  • CANCEL MEAL PLAN: Students in residential housing (dorms/suites) cannot cancel meal plans. When housing is cancelled with Res Life your plan is automatically cancelled. If you have additional circumstances or do not see the necessary changes reflected on your fee bill w/in 5-7 business days, please contact our office at 860-486-3128.
  • MEAL PLANS FOR STUDENTS IN STORRS ON/OFF CAMPUS APARTMENTS - If you live in an on-campus apartment or are commuting, a variety of meal plans are available. You can purchase points and/or a Community Meal Plan anytime during the semester. See details here.
  • MENU ACCURACY: We strive to make sure that our menus match the daily online menus but in some circumstances, we are faced with occasional procurement issues that result in last-minute substitutions. We will always try to find an adequate substitution that meets your dietary needs. Thank you for being so understanding during these challenging times and we appreciate your business.
  • FOOD AVAILABILITY: Empty pan = delicious dish! A popular entrée or side can go quickly, so if you see an empty pan, please know that our team is working to prepare and replenish that pan with a fresh batch of food. Thank you for your patience.
  • INCLEMENT WEATHER: If inclement weather closes the campus or there is a delay, dining halls will always remain open and operate at normal hours (Late Night service may not be offered). Most of our retail locations are housed in buildings that are not managed by Dining Services therefore we follow the decision that is made by staff that manage the building (i.e Rec Ctr, Benton Museum, Library, Student Union). We will announce the operation decisions for those locations as soon as we can on our social media pages.
  • CELEBRATE WITH A CAKE FROM UCONN BAKERY! Did you know you can order celebration cakes, cookie cakes, and sweet treats (including gluten-free) from the UConn Bakery and pick them up at the convenience store in the Student Union? Credit/debit and Husky Bucks accepted! Click here to check out the options and order!

If you have a question that we didn't answer above or below, please contact us via our online form or at call us at 860-486-3128. If you reach our voicemail, please leave a message and we will get back in touch with you during business hours.

Meal Plan Questions

Am I required to purchase a meal plan?

All resident students living in undergraduate and graduate housing are required to have a meal plan. (Husky Village is part of the University’s traditional undergraduate housing.)

  • If you are/will be living in a dorm or suite, you have the opportunity to pick your meal plan when filling out the housing form with Residential Life. If you didn't pick a plan, you will likely be assigned the value plan. You can view your current meal plan on your fee bill.
  • Changing Your Plan: Upgrading/Downgrading - Submit your upgrade or downgrade by utilizing our change plan form. You have three weeks from when meal plans begin to make your changes - please check the form for the deadline.

Students living in on-campus apartments are not required to have a meal plan but can still voluntarily purchase from a variety of meal plan options that suit their needs. Check out all our meal plan options here.

Can I change my residential meal plan?

Yes. You have the first three weeks from when the dining halls begin service for the semester to change (upgrade or downgrade) to another residential meal plan (custom, value, unlimited) that is better suited to your needs. This deadline is announced on the dining hall tv's, in UConn Daily Digest, Dining channel in the myUConn app, on our online change form, and on our social media accounts.

You can change your meal plan by filling out our online meal plan change form. For upgrades, payment is required within 10 days to the Bursar’s Office on the first floor of Wilbur Cross.

Meal plan changes will be updated on your ID card within 24 hours, or on the next business day if submitted after office hours, during the weekend, or on a holiday. Your updated meal plan charge will be reflected within 5-7 business days on your semester fee bill.



How do I find out which meal plan I have?

Check your fee bill to see what plan you have. You can then check our meal plans page to see how many points and/or Flex Passes you have with that plan. During the semester you can check your OneCard for your points balance. For the Flex Pass balance, next time you swipe a Flex Pass you can ask the Dining staff member at check out what your balance is.

What kind of meal plans are being offered?

Whether you are a student in traditional undergraduate or graduate housing, a commuter, living in an on-campus apartment, or an employee there are numerous ways to purchase food on campus. Visit our meal plans page for the most current plans and prices.

What is the best meal plan for me?

For students in dorms and suites all three meal plans are very comparable in price and offer unlimited access to the dining units. The best meal plan for you really depends on your eating habits. If you are going to swipe in a guests for meals at the dining hall, you’re going to want to have Flex Passes to allow entry. Flex Passes can also be used at various dining retail locations for a value meal. If you are the type of person who likes to eat on the run, you’re going to want to make sure you have some points on your account to use at our cafes and eateries around campus.

For students that are living in on-campus apartments or commuting, there are a variety of meal plan options you can voluntarily purchase:  residential meal plans (all you care to eat), Community Meal Plan (a set number of dining hall meals), or a cash/point account (declining balance). View all these options here.


I don’t live in a residence hall, what are my options for purchasing food on campus?

Many options are available to those that are not living in traditional residence halls including: voluntarily purchasing a residential meal plan, points, and a Community Meal Plan. Credit/debit and Husky Bucks are also accepted at all our locations (including dining halls).

Find all options and details on our meal plans page.

Where can I eat with my meal plan and how do I get in?

You can eat in any of our eight dining halls located around campus: Whitney, Buckley, South, McMahon, Putnam, Northwest, North, and Gelfenbien Commons.

  • Dining hall descriptions and a map can be found here.
  • Meal hours are posted outside each dining hall, on our hours page, and accessible via the myUConn app
  • Daily menus can be found here and via the myUConn App
  • You must present your UConn ID card to the staff member located at the dining hall entrance to gain entrance.

All Residential Meal plans also come with flex passes and points* to purchase food in our retail locations. Learn more how to use flex passes and points here.

*Only Ultimate & Value plans come with points. If you have the Custom plan, points can be purchased separately.

My housing changed from residence hall to on-campus apartment. How do I cancel/change my dining plan?

If you have been moved from a residence hall into an on-campus apartment and want to change from an assigned residential plan to a Community Plan or a Voluntary Residential Plan you need to submit your request via our online form. If you don't want any meal plan, no action is needed as your assigned residential plan will be canceled when your dorm assignment is canceled with Residence Life. If you have further questions about your situation, please call us at 860-486-3128.

Points, Flex Passes & Husky Bucks Questions

For a break down of where and how to use flex passes and points on campus please review this page.

How do points differ from Husky Bucks?

Points from Dining Services

  • Spending power = dollar for dollar 1 point = $1 (added to your OneCard)
  • Used at Dining Services locations
  • Points with the Ulimate & Value meal plans expire at the end of the semester
  • Points that are purchased separate from meal plans are added to fee bill

Husky Bucks

  • Spending power = dollar for dollar (added to your OneCard)
  • Used at various locations on/off campus (including all Dining Services locations)
  • Husky Bucks do not expire
  • Adding Husky Bucks to your OneCard requires debit/credit card

Points with the Community Meal Plan (these plans are only available for staff, commuters, local residents & students in on-campus apartments)

  • Community Meal Plan with Husky Bucks: you get a 5% discount at the UC Cafes and at Union Street Market at the point of purchase
  • Points with a Community Meal Plan roll over from semester to semester but any balance is not refundable until you graduate or leave UConn.
    Plans are refunded at the value they were originally purchased.

Paying for Meal in the Dining Hall with Husky Bucks or Points

If you are paying for a meal in the dining hall with Husky Bucks or points, please let the Dining Services cashier know which form of payment you are using.


Breakfast $8.80 ($6.15 children under 12)
Brunch $16.60 ($11.95 children under 12)
Lunch $13.85 ($9.95 children under 12)
Dinner $17.35 ($12.25 children under 12)

Prices effective through 8/31/2024 (prices do not include tax).
Sales tax is 7.35% - tax is exempt for any individual with a UConn ID.

UConn Dining does not manage Husky Bucks. For more information on Husky Bucks please go to: https://onecard.uconn.edu/husky-bucks/


Can I use my points or Flex Passes at the Starbucks, Dunkin, & Subway on campus?

These dining locations are not operated by UConn Dining Services and do not accept points or flex passes. Please review our Points and Flex Passes page to learn more.

The meal plan I chose didn’t come with points. What can I do if I want points?

If you choose the Custom Meal Plan, you may purchase a separate cash points account. Like points that come with the Ulimate & Value Meal Plans, these points can be used at all dining halls and at most Dining Services retail operations. Check out point locations here. When you purchase a cash points account these points roll-over from semester to semester and can be refunded, should you leave the University. There is no minimum required purchase for cash points at the Storrs campus.

What if I run out of points or Flex Passes and there is still time left in the semester?

Want more points? You can purchase additional points for your residential meal plan account at any time during the semester. There is no minimum purchase for additional points. (1 point = 1 dollar). Points purchased separately roll over from semester to semester. Use our online form to add points. Once charge is posted to fee bill, the Bursar’s Office will give you 10 days to make payment. 

Want more flex passes? Flex passes cannot be purchased but you can convert residential meal plan points to flex passes (one flex pass = 7 points). Please call our staff at 860-486-3128 so they can assist you with this.


How can I check my points or Flex Pass balance?

POINTS:  check your balance, by logging into your OneCard account.

FLEX PASSES: Next time you swipe a Flex Pass, ask the Dining staff member at the register for your balance.

What is the benefit of paying for a dining hall meal with a Community Meal Plan swipe vs. Husky Bucks/Points?

Community Meal Plans (CMP) are available to commuters, students in on-campus apartments, and employees. CMP is sold as a block of 25 meals. Each meal costs $11.92 with CMP vs. paying the meal guest rate (see below); a dinner guest rate using points/Husky Bucks would be $17.35 vs. that same dinner with a CMP swipe-$11.92


Breakfast $8.80 ($6.15 children under 12)
Brunch $16.60 ($11.95 children under 12)
Lunch $13.85 ($9.95 children under 12)
Dinner $17.35 ($12.25 children under 12)

Prices effective through 8/31/2024 (prices do not include tax).
Sales tax is 7.35% - tax is exempt for any individual with a UConn ID.

Can I convert my flex passes to points or points to flex passes?

Flex Passes cannot be converted to more points but residential meal plan points can be converted into more Flex Passes. Please call our office at 860-486-3128 if you are interested in converting points into Flex Passes.

If you have run out of points on your residential meal plan, more can be purchased at any point during the semester by using our online form. When points are purchased separately, any unused points will roll over to the next semester.

What happens if I have leftover points or Flex Passes on my resident meal plan at the end of the semester?

If you don’t use them, unfortunately, you lose them. However, if you purchase additional points during the semester and have any leftover, they WILL automatically roll-over into the next semester. Purchases with meal plan points are limited at the end of each semester to ensure that there is a sufficient supply of retail items. Flex passes do NOT rollover.

Allergies/Nutrition/Dietary Restrictions Questions

What if I have dietary restrictions?

The Department of Dining Services will work with students who have dietary restrictions to help meet their needs with the food products available to them. Please let the manager of your particular dining unit know of your restrictions. However, students who have long term dietary restrictions, or who feel they require meal plan exemptions, should first contact the UConn Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD) to apply for accommodation.

Once your accommodation is approved, please then request an appointment with Dining Services and include in your allergy description and the name of your CSD appointed contact. A Dining Services staff member will then reach out to you to schedule an appointment. At your appointment, our Assistant Directors will speak with you to further discuss your allergy or dietary restriction, as well as any additional questions or concerns you may have relating to your needs.

More information can be found on our Dietary Restrictions & Preferences page.

How do I find out the nutritional information of my meal items?

The Department of Dining Services analyzes and provides students and other customers with nutritional information about meals served in the dining units on a daily basis. This information can be found at: http://dining.uconn.edu/nutrition/. We also provide recipes upon request.

I am a vegan/vegetarian, will my dietary needs be met and will there be enough variety? How will I know which meals are vegan/vegetarian?

Vegan and vegetarian options will always be available.

VEGETARIAN: Each dining unit serves a vegetarian entrée for lunch and dinner. Rice is always available at every meal, and pasta and sauce is
available at dinner. You can also get different varieties of veggie burgers.

VEGAN: Every day in our dining units we feature delicious vegan entrées. These special recipes, prepared in our kitchens and tested by vegan
students, provide delicious and varied eating choices for the vegans on campus.

You can also find vegan and vegetarian options at our retail locations.

Our foods are labeled with nutritional and allergen information in the dining halls and at our retail locations. You can also view the menus and nutritional information in advance through the myUConn app (download from App store or Google Play) or on our website.

Did you know, in August 2021 Dining Services opened CrossRoads, our first 100% plant-based café, in the Wilbur Cross building (across from the information center)? Points, credit/debit, Husky Bucks, and Flex Passes are accepted. Stop by and check out the great study space and try something from the menu (menu available on days that CrossRoads is open).

If you would like to get involved with students at UConn with a similar plant-forward lifestyle, please reach out VegHuskies or the CrossRoads Event Management Committee.

Dining Hall Questions: Guidelines, Policies & More

Am I allowed to bring guests into the dining hall?

Yes. You can bring UConn or non-UConn guests with you to the dining hall. Guest meals must be paid for with points, flex passes, Husky Bucks, or credit/debit. All dining halls are cashless. If using flex passes, the cashier will deduct one flex pass for each guest.

If using credit/debit, points, Husky Bucks, the cost of each meal is as follows:


Breakfast $8.80 ($6.15 children under 12)
Brunch $16.60 ($11.95 children under 12)
Lunch $13.85 ($9.95 children under 12)
Dinner $17.35 ($12.25 children under 12)

Dining Halls are Cashless: Mastercard, Visa, AmEx, Discover accepted.
Prices effective through 8/31/2024 (prices do not include tax).
Sales tax is 7.35% – tax is exempt for any individual with a UConn ID.

How can I find out what is on the menu?

There are two ways to see what is on the menu. Our website is a good place to visit to check out the menu and nutritional info. You can also access the menus in the Dining section of the myUConn mobile app.

Do I need my ID card to get into a dining unit?

Yes. All students are issued a University ID card at the One Card Office. This card is an identification card as well as a meal card, a debit card (Husky Bucks), a library card, a residence hall access card, and an access card to events and facilities on campus. It is very important to keep with you at all times. Please note that your ID belongs to you. If someone else uses your ID, it will be confiscated.

Are the dining halls/retail locations open when there is inclement weather/UConn closes?

If inclement weather closes the campus or there is a delay, dining halls will always remain open and operate at normal hours (Late Night service may not be offered). Most of our retail locations are housed in buildings that are not managed by Dining Services therefore we follow the decision that is made by staff that manage the building (i.e Rec Ctr, Benton Museum, Library, Student Union). We will announce the operation decisions for those locations as soon as we can on our social media pages.

Please follow Dining Services on social for updates (IG/X (formerly Twitter)/Threads: @uconndining | Facebook @uconndiningservices)

For UConn Dairy Bar updates, please follow them on IG/Threads/Facebook at @uconndairybar

What do I do if I lose my ID card?

You must have an ID card to gain entrance to a dining unit. If you have lost your ID card and would like to utilize your meal plan, contact the One Card office at 486-3129 to have it deactivated. You will need a replacement card before eating your next meal. Replacement IDs cost $30.

Am I allowed to bring a reusable water bottle into the dining hall or my own to-go container?

Bringing your own reusable water bottle (16oz) is allowed. Bringing Tupperware or your own to-go containers are not permitted in the dining halls.

What locations are open if I stay on campus during a break?

Dining Halls During Breaks:

Thanksgiving Break and Spring Break:  Meal plans are temporarily shut down during Thanksgiving break and spring break. If you have a residential meal plan and will be on campus during break you can sign up for meals at the dining hall that will be open. There is no cost for these meals, but you will need to sign up in advance. The sign-up form will be available on our website a few weeks to a month in advance of the break and notice will be given on our social media accounts, website, and Daily Digest.

Summer and Winter Break: Selecting a 5 or 7-day meal plan will be required as part of the Residential Life housing form to stay on campus during summer or winter break. Typically, only one dining hall is open and breakfast, lunch, and dinner are offered.

Retail Locations During Breaks: During breaks, most retail locations are shut down. Typically, one or two cafes, the convenience store, and the Union Street Market will remain open with limited hours. Please refer to dining.uconn.edu/hours for our most up-to-date retail hours.

Can I bring my backpack into the dining hall?

Yes, you may bring your backpack into the dining area if you so choose.

What if I can’t get to a dining hall for a certain meal due to a class, job, or internship?

If you are unable to get to any of our dining halls due to a class, lab, internship, or job, you may get a to-go container to take with you. Please read the details here on how to sign up for this program.

What do I do if I can’t get to a dining facility because of an illness not related to COVID-19?

If you become ill and cannot make it to a dining unit for a meal, you may call the dining facility you normally eat in, ask for the manager on duty, and request a meal “to go.” Please provide the manager with your PeopleSoft number as well as the name of the individual who will be picking up your meal. When the designated person picks up the meal for you, they must swipe in their own card, swipe in the requesting student’s card, and ask for the unit manager to assist with the take-out.

Can I allow my roommate or friend to use my ID to get a dining hall meal or purchase food at a retail location?

No. Meal plans are not transferable.