Am I required to purchase a meal plan?

All resident students living in undergraduate and graduate housing are required to have a meal plan. (Husky Village is part of the University’s traditional undergraduate housing.) Students living in on-campus apartments are not required to have a meal plan. There are three available resident meal plans to choose.

What kind of meal plans are being offered?

Visit our meal plans page for the most current plans and prices.

What is the best meal plan for me?

All three meal plans are very comparable in price and offer unlimited access to the dining units. The best meal plan for you really depends on your eating habits. If you are going to swipe in visiting guests for meals, you’re going to want to have enough flex passes to allow entry. If you are the type of person who likes to eat on the run, you’re going to want to make sure you have some points on your account.

What is a flex pass?

Flex passes come with each of the three resident meal plans and can be used in two ways: as a guest pass or to purchase a value meal. For example, if you are going to have friends or family visiting, they can be admitted into the dining units using your flex passes (one flex pass = one meal). Flex passes can also be used in the Grab ‘n Go’s to obtain a value meal. Flex passes cannot be used at Dining Services’ retail operations (UC Café coffee shops, Student Union, convenience stores, etc.).

What are points and how are they used?

Points come with the Ultimate and Value Meal Plan options (spending power: one point = one dollar). Points may be used for purchases at our Retail Operations (UC Cafés, Union Street Market Food Court outlets, Freshens, Dairy Bar Too, and The Beanery. Points can be used at The Bistro on Union Street after 1:00pm. They may not be used in the C-Store located in the Student Union, One Plate, Two Plates, Earth, Wok & Fire, UConn Dairy Bar, UConn Dairy Bar Truck or the Food For Thought Truck. Please note: points are not accepted at Subway and Dunkin Donuts in the Student Union as they are not run by Dining Services. Points may be used to purchase guest meals in the dining units.

Where can I eat with my meal plan and how do I get in?

There are eight dining units located around campus to choose from: Whitney, Buckley, South, McMahon, Putnam, Northwest, North and Gelfenbien Commons. Dining unit descriptions can be found here. Meal hours for breakfast, lunch and dinner are posted outside each dining unit as well as the Dining Services website. You must present your UConn ID card to a validine operator at each location’s entrance in order to eat. The operator will swipe your card through a machine to allow you access into the dining unit.

Can I change my meal plan?

Yes. You have the first three weeks of the semester to change to a meal plan that is better suited to your needs. Meal plans for the Fall 2018 semester can be downgraded through end of day Friday, September 14, 2018. Please Note: If you want to upgrade your meal plan, you may do so at any time throughout the semester. You can change your meal plan by visiting the Dining Services office in Towers or by calling 860-486-3128. Payment is required within 10 days to the Bursar’s Office on the first floor of Wilbur Cross. Meal plan changes take effect immediately.

Can I use my points or flex passes at non-Dining Services locations?

No. Points and flex passes can only be used for food purchases at Dining Services’ locations. It should be noted that the chain restaurants in the Student Union (Subway and Dunkin Donuts) are not operated by Dining Services and are, therefore, not part of the meal plan.

The meal plan I chose didn’t come with points. What can I do?

If you choose a plan that does not include points, you may purchase a separate cash points account. Like points that come with a meal plan, these points can be used at all dining facilities and at retail operations. Unlike the Ultimate or Value Plan’s points, however, these points do roll-over from semester to semester and can be refunded should you leave the University. There is no minimum required purchase for cash points. You may also elect to open a Husky Bucks Account by visiting the One Card Office.

How do points differ from Husky Bucks?

Points can only be used for food purchases at Dining Services locations. Husky Bucks, on the other hand, may be used to purchase food and other items at locations on and off campus. If you have a Community Meal Plan and Husky Bucks, you get a 5% discount at the UC Cafes and Unions Street Market at the point of purchase. For more information on Husky Bucks please go to: http://www.onecard.uconn.edu

What if I run out of points or flex passes and there is still time left in the semester?

You can add points to your residential meal plan account. There is no minimum purchase for additional points. (1 point = 1 dollar). You can convert residential meal plan points to flex passes (one flex pass = 7 points). Points may be added to your account at any time by visiting the Dining Services office or by phone. Points purchased separately roll over from semester to semester. You may out these charges on your student fee bill and pay the Bursar in 10 days.

What happens if I have leftover points or flex passes on my resident meal plan at the end of the semester?

If you don’t use them, unfortunately you lose them. This is true unless you make additions to your meal plan. If you purchase additional points during the semester and have any left over, they WILL automatically roll-over into the next semester. Purchases with meal plan points are limited at the end of each semester to ensure that there is a sufficient supply of retail items. Flex passes do NOT roll over.

What are value meals?

Value Meals are available at Grab & Go’s around campus: Putnam Grab & Go in Putnam, South Grab & Go in South Dining unit, Off The Eaten Path in Gelfenbien Commons, and at Northwest Grab & Go in Northwest Dining. They consist of some combination of a sandwich, drink, fruit/salad, and a dessert. The selection of a value meals’ ingredients are designed to utilize items that are prepared by Dining Services, while maintaining portability for students.


  • At Grab & Go’s, why can’t I get a bottled beverage and/or a bag of chips as part of my meal?
    The selection of value meals’ ingredients are designed to utilize items that are prepared by Dining Services.
    This allows us to create a balanced selection at a reasonable price point.
  • Why can’t I get 2 sandwiches as my value meal? I don’t want the other items.
    Value meals are designed to meet a targeted price point. Variations in selections will impact our raw food cost target.
  • What if I don’t want all the options included in my value meal? Do I get credit (of some form) back?
    No, value meals are packaged to provide an inexpensive menu that has value and is portable. If you want to select a part of a value meal this can be purchased à la carte through the use of points or Husky Bucks.

I am not living on campus, but can I still have a meal plan?

Yes. Dining Services offers a Community Meal Plan. Community Meal Plans can also be used to admit guests. If there are meals left on your account at the end of the semester, they will carry over into the next semester. Meals can be refunded upon request when you leave the university. This is the preferred option of commuters, although an option to voluntarily purchase a resident meal plan is also available.

We also offer Husky Bucks combined with a valid Community Plan

Husky Bucks combined with a valid Community Meal Plan offers a discount. When you have a valid Community Meal Plan and pay for your food purchases with Husky Bucks, you will receive a 5% discount off each purchase. Please note that this discount is applied to the Union Street Market in the Student Union and any of our five coffee shops. Off-campus locations are not included in this offer. Husky Bucks can be purchased through the One Card Office or or online through their website.

How can I find out what is on the menu?

You can find out what is on the menu in several ways. Our website is a good place to visit to check out the menu as well as UCuisine, our semester menu booklet, available in your dining unit. You can also download the mobile app for everything UConn.

How do I find out the nutritional information for my meal items?

The Department of Dining Services analyzes and provides students and other customers with nutritional information about meals served in the dining units on a daily basis. This information can be found at: http://dining.uconn.edu/nutrition/. We also provide recipes upon request.

What if I have dietary restrictions?

The Department of Dining Services will work with students who have dietary restrictions to help meet their needs with the food products available to them. Please let the manager of your particular dining unit know of your restrictions. However, students who have long term dietary restrictions, or who feel they require meal plan exemptions, should contact Amy Dunham, Health Services’ Nutritionist at 486-0771 or Jennifer at the Center for Students with Disabilities at 486-2020.

Click here for more information.

Why am I only allowed a beverage, pastry, fruit or ice cream treat as a take-out from the dining unit?

All residence dining units are all-you-care-to-eat facilities. Allowing the items listed above as take-out is a way to meet your need for an easy to carry snack and still control costs. Uncontrolled take-out would lead to a much more expensive meal plan as well as food safety issues. If you are taking out a beverage, it must be in an Eco-Husky mug or other similar-sized reusable container. “Go Green” by using recyclable mugs instead of paper.

Do I need my ID card to get into a dining unit?

Yes. All students are issued a University ID card at the One Card Office. This card is an identification card as well as a meal card, a debit card (Husky Bucks), a library card, a residence hall access card, and an access card to events and facilities on campus. It is very important to keep with you at all times. Please note that your ID belongs to you. If someone else uses your ID, it will be confiscated.

What do I do if I lose my ID card?

You must have an ID card to gain entrance to a dining unit. If you have lost your ID card and would like to utilize your meal plan, call the One Card office (located on the 2nd floor of Wilbur Cross) at 486-3129 to have it deactivated. You will need a replacement card before eating your next meal. Replacement IDs cost $20.

What if I can’t get to a dining facility for a certain meal?

If you become ill and cannot make it to a dining unit for a meal, you may call the dining facility you normally eat in, ask for the manager on duty and request a meal “to go.” Please provide the manager with your PeopleSoft number as well as the name of the individual who will be picking up your meal. When the designated person picks up the meal for you, they may swipe in their own card, swipe in the requesting student’s card and contact the unit manager to assist with the take-out.

Can I bring my backpack into the dining unit?

Yes, you may bring your backpacks into dining area if you so choose.