Congratulations!!! The University of Connecticut Department of Dining Services is a Great Place to Work and you have made a great choice in seeking employment with our award-winning and growing department. This page is designed to give you an overview of what to expect when considering completing an application for employment. To guide you in doing this, please take the time to read the following information.
General Information for Full-Time Applicants (Non-State Positions)
- PLEASE complete the application in full and sign where indicated. Applications not filled out properly will not be considered.
- The position you are applying for is a NON-STATE
- As a condition of an offer for employment, you will be required to submit to a background, criminal record check, take and pass a drug screen, a physical and back evaluation.
- There will be short periods of lay-offs between semesters and some summer lay-offs.
- You will be eligible to apply for unemployment benefits during lay-offs.
- Schedules will be mainly second shift, which varies from 11:30am – 8 pm , 3:30pm to 12 midnight, or 5:30pm to 2am. (Late night shifts are eligible for a shift differential.)
- Schedules will generally include weekends. The good news is the longer you work, the greater the potential for you to get an earlier shift.
- All positions entail serving food, some heavy lifting, general utility duties and food preparation.
- Please “click” on our job descriptions link for Kitchen Assistants, Chef assistants and Chefs.
- Good attendance is a MUST.
- Pay rates range from $14.92 an hour for kitchen assistants to $20.53 an hour for chefs
- Medical, dental, vision, life insurance for the employee at no cost
- Sick and vacation days
- Paid holidays
- Pension plan
- Uniforms provided
- Safety incentive awards
- Career ladder potential
- On the Willimantic bus line
UConn Student Employment Information and Application
The Department of Dining Services is one of the largest employers of students at the Storrs campus. We offer many different types of jobs throughout our department from working in the dining units to working in our own bakery, coffee shops, or the main office. You may apply for employment with us by calling any of our management team at any of our locations or just by stopping one of the locations that has open positions. We also employ students from the Hartford campus. We’ve got something for everyone!
- Starting pay rate of $12/hr
- Free meal on the shift you work
- Flexible shifts
- Student management opportunities (great for resumes)
- Fun working environment
The Student Program Coordinator is Claire Nitzsche. She can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about employment opportunities you may send an email to email@example.com. The Department of Dining Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applications from under-represented groups, including minorities, women and people with disabilities.
Dining Services Locations Currently Hiring Students
Dining Halls: Units currently looking for student employees: South, Northwest, Putnam, Burton, Buckley.
Faces of UConn Dining
Get to know just some of the many talented, dedicated, and hard-working members of the UConn Dining Services team. Click on each photo to read more about each staff member or click the "All profiles" link to see them all.