Congratulations!!! The University of Connecticut Department of Dining Services is a Great Place to Work and you have made a great choice in seeking employment with our award-winning and growing department. UConn Dining has been named a Top 25 in the Country Dining Power Player by Food Management magazine and UConn remains among the nation’s top 25 public universities.
About Us: Dining Services plays a vital role on the UConn Storrs campus. We serve more than 116,000 meals per week in our eight residential dining units, as well as offering excellent food and service throughout campus in 5 cafes (including one that is plant-based), Union Street Market Food Court, 3 eateries, an ice cream shop, food truck, ice cream truck, and two bakeries (one strictly gluten-free). We also have a convenience store, student farm, catering division, test kitchen, commissary, and central production kitchen.
As one of the largest self-operated food service programs in the country, our services extend beyond just having tasty food for our customers. We strive to be sensitive to the varied needs of students with special dietary requirements such as vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, Kosher, and Halal. As the sole provider of food service on our campus, we have the obligation, responsibility, and honor of serving healthy, sustainable, and delicious food to our student body.
About UConn: Located in the heart of the northeast, halfway between New York City and Boston, UConn's main campus makes for an energizing and inspiring environment. Storrs is a town-within-a-town. Downtown Storrs, a vibrant and walkable town center with over 60 businesses, is just steps away. Our picturesque campus is home to more than 18,000 undergraduate students, 5,000 faculty and staff, 21 NCAA division 1 athletic teams, and one handsome husky mascot.
Want to know more? Get to know some of our staff below or check out just some of the highlights on how Dining Services is involved on campus, in the community, and with sustainability initiatives.
If you are considering completing an application for employment, the information below will guide you through the process. Please take the time to read the following information.
Looking for student employment? Click here.
General Information for Full-Time Applicants (Non-State Positions)
- PLEASE complete the application in full and sign where indicated. Applications not filled out properly will not be considered.
- The position you are applying for is a NON-STATE
- As a condition of an offer for employment, you will be required to submit to a background, criminal record check, take and pass a drug screen, a physical and back evaluation.
- There will be short periods of lay-offs between semesters and some summer lay-offs.
- You will be eligible to apply for unemployment benefits during lay-offs.
- Schedules will be mainly second shift, which varies from 11:30am – 8 pm , 3:30pm to 12 midnight, or 5:30pm to 2am. (Late night shifts are eligible for a shift differential.)
- Schedules will generally include weekends. The good news is the longer you work, the greater the potential for you to get an earlier shift.
- All positions entail serving food, some heavy lifting, general utility duties, and food preparation.
- Please click on our "open positions" section below for job descriptions for Kitchen Assistants, Chef assistants, and Chefs.
- Good attendance is a MUST.
- Pay rates range from $16.30 an hour for kitchen assistants to $22.42 an hour for chefs
- Medical, dental, vision, life insurance for the employee at no cost
- Sick and vacation days
- Paid holidays
- Pension plan
- Uniforms provided
- Safety incentive awards
- Career ladder potential
- Free meal on shift
- On the Willimantic bus line
Full-time & Per Diem: Open Positions & Application
Kitchen Assistants (Full time, Non-state, Union) **hiring bonus**
Chefs (Full time, Non-state, Union) **hiring bonus**
Chef Assistants (Full time, Non-state, Union) **hiring bonus**
Bartenders (Per Diem)
Catering Supervisor (Full time, Non-state)
Employment Application (for positions listed above)
Faces of UConn Dining
Get to know just some of the many talented, dedicated, and hard-working members of the UConn Dining Services team. Click on each photo to read more about each staff member or click the "All profiles" link to see them all.