Currently at SVSF we have two solar projects underway.
- Solar Photovoltaic
- Solar Thermal
- The solar photovoltaic and solar thermal heating projects were first initiated in 2014 as the senior design project for three electrical engineering students under Dr. Ali Bazzi.
- Stephanie Mesick, one of the students, continued to work on the solar thermal project throughout the summer and following fall semester. Under the direction of Dr. Richard Parnas, Chemical Engineering professor, then Faculty Director for EcoHouse Learning Community, Stephanie was able to finalize the requirements needed to build a fully operational solar thermal heating system for the greenhouse.
- With the leadership of Dr. Richard Parnas, help from student volunteers and funding from the Provost Academic Plan Grant awarded in 2017 we were able to install the panels for both solar thermal and solar photovoltaic systems.
- All students, faculty or community members, from any major, are welcome to help complete the construction and implementation of these projects as well as use the projects for research.
- These systems are expected to be operational in 2020.