In The News: Kuhl reflects on 32 years of work with UConn Dining Services

Kuhl said lots of UConn’s culture has changed over the course of his time there. He spoke about changes in the structure of the semester and events that took place. 

“We’ve seen a lot over the years,” Kuhl said. “Academics have changed, they used to bring kids back on campus before classes started in the fall for a huge WoW (Week of Welcome) picnic … One year, I was responsible for doing the food part, but I would work with student activities, and they would plan the bands and work with me on the theme.” 

Kuhl went on to discuss his development of the student management program. He said he felt the program was a great way for students to develop managerial skills for the future. 

“Each dining hall then did an interview process and would then hire student managers,” Kuhl said. “They took over the role of, like, hiring, doing all the paperwork for student payroll, doing the payroll, and then overseeing supervisors, so it was such a great experience for these kids, and that’s probably the best part that I love about my job is working with students and seeing them grow.” 

Kuhl also spoke about the managerial training program he helped establish. He said the program gives people the opportunity to work in various diverse dining environments.  Read more on Daily Campus